Hi everyone…Caring Companions had a weekly team meeting this morning and during the course of our updates. we all reminded about the bevy of truly unusual “stuff” we come across in the home care industry. Of course there are a lot of warm and fuzzies…the bond we see between caregivers and those they care for. Hearing a client say “you guys are amazing…I never could have done it without you.” “I just love my caregiver Hanna…she has changed my life,” etc.
There are also less fortunate incidences that include things like falls and such. However, the “stuff” we usually end up spending time on are the things that happen that just baffle us. We joke that a book is forthcoming of the situations and incidences we have observed trying to help older adults. A few we have encountered:
- There was the caregiver that resigned because her roommate’s pimp boyfriend threatened to make her embark on a career in adult film
- The caregiver that showed up to start with a new client and ended up on the coffee table because a tiny kitten moseyed out of the bedroom (apparently, kittens are bad news!)
- The home with two 170lb dogs…the gentle giants!
- Goats, goats and more goats!
- The caregiver that was driving close to 200 miles a week doing errands with a client
- The pearl white, blue landau-topped Buick Delta 88 Special
- The “Five Card Monty” incident (save that for another day)
The list could go on and on…however, we will save the lion’s share for the book. Sure to be a NYT best-seller! Any title ideas? I’m thinking “Cosmic Imponderables: Our Adventures in the Home Care Business!”
Happy Friday friends.